Begin your Animation career at Algonquin College in Ottawa.
We will be connecting with Neil Hunter at 9:00 am central time in room 57
Notable animator’s who went to Algonquin College’s Animation program: Trent Correy & Tomas Pajdlhauser.
About the Program
Credential: Ontario College Advanced Diploma
Duration: 3 Years
Area Of Interest: Arts and Design
Program Code: 1288X01FWO
Academic Year: 2017/2018
Algonquin College’s Animation program focuses on teaching students the skills necessary to meet the high standards required to gain meaningful employment in the demanding animation industry. We are a performance-based animation school with an emphasis on acting and body mechanics.
This three-year Ontario College Advanced Diploma program provides students with training in traditional, 3D, 2D tradigital and video game animation techniques. The program of study includes animation, life drawing and design courses focusing on all facets of animation including performance-based character animation, location design, character design, gestures and anatomy studies.
Graduates gain the knowledge, skills and techniques required to work effectively as animators using a variety of tools within a professional animation or game studio.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD): Students are expected to have and use a laptop or mobile computing device when registered in this on-campus program. Hardware and software specifications required by your program are outlined at http://algonquincollege.com/byod. Some mobile devices/laptops and supplies can be purchased directly from Algonquin`s New Technology Store at educational rates.
This program is well-suited for students who: <ul
- Are creative and think visually. </ul
- Enjoy a hands-on approach to learning about the animation and game industries.
- Have strong observational and analytical skills.
- Have an aptitude for acting and storytelling.
- Are eager to learn new drawing and animation techniques using new technologies.
Graduates may be employed by animation studios as animators, clean up artists, layout artists, location and character designers, background artists, 3D animators, modelers and riggers. Employment opportunities may include feature films, animated TV series, commercials, multimedia, computer and video game animation.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Design, create and animate objects and characters with naturalistic and expressive movements and poses.
- Design and create hand-drawn and/or computer-generated drawings using principles of art, design and composition.
- Select and use appropriate tools and technologies for the development of animation projects.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and evaluation of animation projects.
- Plan, develop and execute a series of effective and believable animation sequences.
- Create and enhance the production of animation sequences and projects using a variety of principles and techniques related to cinematography and art direction.
- Use storytelling skills to create and enhance the development and execution of animation sequences.
- Use performance theory and skills to create and enhance animation.
- Design and produce layouts using perspective, composition and colour theory to enhance visual presentation and mood.
- Present and defend a visual concept to a target audience.
- Use computer skills and appropriate digital asset management techniques to function effectively within a production pipeline.
- Develop, assemble and present a demo reel or portfolio in a manner that meets current industry expectations, and highlights one`s creativity, skills and proficiency with relevant animation software and related technologies.
- Identify and apply discipline-specific practices that contribute to the local and global community through social responsibility, economic commitment and environmental stewardship.
Programs at Algonquin College are delivered using a variety of instruction modes. Courses may be offered in the classroom or lab, entirely online, or in a hybrid mode which combines classroom sessions with online learning activities. Upon registration, each full-time student is provided an Algonquin email account which is used to communicate important information about program or course events.