Today we were privileged to have Tripwire Media’s owner, Doug Darling, present to our students.
Here is what his presentation covered:
- Part 1 – Intro
- Introduce Myself
- Introduce Tripwire
- Play Demo Reel
- Background/who I was/what inspired me
- How I started Tripwire (ie. David Approached)
- The state of the industry in 2009 (Dslrs, internet)
- The growth of Tripwire (from Ad agency to Video Company)
- Where we are now
Part 2 – Types of Video:
- Intro (more than film and TV)
- Quick Stats about video
- Corporate/Scripted Video (30 sec example – Tourism Winnipeg)
- Animated Explainer (Great West Life)
- 3D – (30 sec example – Pulse)
- Documentary (30 sec example – CRF)
- Combination – (30 sec example – APC)
- List of other types of video
- What I love about it (walking in other peoples shoes, make the mundane interesting)
Part 3 – Story telling tips
- What’s in a story?
- Show Marymound Video
- Discuss different directions this could have gone in.
- Who is your client, what are their goals?
- Who are they talking to?
- Where are they showing it – Social vs Presentation?
Part 4 – Running a start-up
- Make sure it is what you want to do.
- Partners? Make sure they know who they’re working with and goals
- Partners? Helps to be complimentary, not identical.
- Know your strengths and admit your weaknesses
- Employees? Passion vs. Skill
- Don’t be a hero. Find mentors, and support
Part 5 – Q and A
Check out our Q & A with Doug: http://www.soapboxed.org/2015/12/17/trip-wire-media-group-doug-darling/